So you really want a milkshake but it contains more sugar than you allow yourself for an entire week. These dilemmas are what caused me to get creative in the kitchen and to make foods that are satisfying, delicious, and will not completely derail my nutritional goals. Being creative while trying to maintain a low carb diet can be tricky! I have struggled with it for years. So, whether you are just beginning your healthy eating journey or have been on the bandwagon for years, I think these snacks ideas will be welcome additions to your meal plans!
Counting down from 5: (drum roll please!)
5. Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie: Hello! If you are an ice cream lover like I am, you will be all over this incredibly rich and refreshing smoothie! Not only does it satisfy a sweet tooth but it is packed full of nutrients! It is loaded with greens and other goodies that will rev up your metabolism, fill you up, and give you an energy boost without a crash. This smoothie taste like a Girl Scout hit it off with Ben and Jerry and the result is delish!
4. Flax Crackers: If you are one who grabs for the salty, crunchy snacks you are going to love these crackers! Serve them with a cheese tray or simply snack on them alone. My favorite thing about this recipe is its versatility. I have made these 1,001 ways! Garlic and herb is probably my favorite variation but the options are limitless. The base has only a few simply ingredients and the recipe comes together in a snap!
3. Tuna Stuffed Avocado: This twist on a tuna salad sandwich is just as tasty as the original but the bang for your nutritional buck is superior! The avocado adds a creamy layer to the tuna salad that really makes this recipe. Have one for a snack or a couple for a meal; you will not be disappointed!
4. Mushroom Cap Pizza: Pizza cravings are known to strike with little warning. Something about cheese, sauce, and your favorite toppings (in my case black olives and red onion!) coming together is hard to beat. Luckily, these little personal pizzas allowed me to ditch the pizza cravings and the yucky, traditional pizzas. Whatever toppings you love will make your mushroom cap pizza your own! Plus, kids enjoy them as well! Kids love having a hand in making their own food so try this recipe with your little ones!
5. Coconut Cream Pudding: aka “Coconut Fluff”, as it is known in my house. I basically invented this glorious slice of heaven out of necessity. I am a chocolate freak. I love it; the darker the better. I also happen to love French Silk pie. Long story short, I created this absolutely divine Coconut Cream Pudding with only 3 ingredients and never looked back. The best way to describe it is that it taste like the chocolate layer in a French Silk pie and it is to die for. I could eat this stuff morning, noon, and night but I usually enjoy mine for breakfast. If I do one thing right in my life it will be making this stuff my claim to fame.
So, there’s my top 5 low carb, home made snacks! I will be posting recipes for each one to the site along with YouTube tutorials on how to make them! If you have a favorite that you cannot wait to see a recipe video for, let me know! The most requested recipes will be done first!