A question I get asked all the time is, “but, what about when I am not home (one the road, busy with the kids, stuck in a dumpster; you get the idea) what do I eat?” Well people, I am here to tell you that whether you are simply on the road or stuck in a dumpster, there is not excuse for eating trash. These five snacks are can be thrown in a bag or backpack, require no refrigeration, and are ready to eat when you need them! If you leave your home armed with these products, you will never have to go through another fast food drive through again; and nor will you want to! These snacks are all insanely delicious and convenient.
Counting down from 5:
5. Quest Bars: If you are one to grab for a candy bar when hunger strikes, these can be a life saver for you! There are about a million different flavors and I have not found one that I do not like. These bars came in fifth because they are the only item on my list that is not a whole food. I prefer to eat 1 ingredient foods whenever possible, so save these for when you are really in a bind! But beware! Not all of the varieties are low carb so make sure you check the labels before purchasing. I always keep one in my purse and in my car for the times when eating a messy, whole foods is just not going to happen.
Favorite flavor: Double Chocolate Chunk
4. Canned Wild Salmon: Hear me out! I know this is not your typical on-the-go snack but it is most definitely a winner. If you purchase salmon in a can with a pop top, all you need is a plastic fork and somewhere to drain the water! I love smoked salmon but its pricey and needs to be refrigerated. Canned salmon is a grab and go, protein filled snack that will curve your hunger and load you up with some awesome fats to keep you satiated.
Side note! Trader Joe’s has the most affordable canned wild salmon I have found!
3. Trader Joe’s Roasted Seaweed Snacks: Fan of kale chips? Fan of sushi? Well then, you just found your new favorite on-the-go snack. Once you pop open a bag of these bad boys you will not be able to kelp yourself! I personally love kale chips but cannot fathom paying $8 a bag for something I can make at home for $1. These seaweed chips are a salty, crunchy snack that are perfect when you just need something to nibble on. They come is two varieties; wasabi and salted. The wasabi are hot but so, so good.
Tip! Throw these in your bag and sneak them into movies (which I would personally never do because it is simply not allowed. cough.) instead of buying gross, transfatty popcorn.
2. Canned Black Olives: Black olives are rich and filling. I can literally eat them by the can full. I am a huge fan. I bet you never thought to bring them on your next road trip! These would be number one if they were a bit easier to enjoy on the go. However, you do need a place to drain them and a can opener if they do not have a pop top. The extra planning is definitely worth it in my opinion. If olive my snacks could be this delicious, I don’t know that I’d ever use a vending machine again!
Why Olives? They are full of filling, healthy fats and essential minerals like iron.
1. (drum roll please!) Justin’s Classic Almond Butter: I have gone nuts over this product, its without a doubt a favorite of mine. I will be shocked if you try this snack and it does not become a staple on your grocery list. Nut butters have a tendency to be over eaten. The fact that this product comes in an ultra convenient single-serve package is a game changer for nut butters. Not only does it keep you from over eating, it is effortless to transport! This product is ultra compact and can take a beating in a purse, backpack, or lunchbox. Justin’s also comes in other delicious flavors but I go with the original to cut back on sugar.
Side Note! Kids love this stuff! Serve on apples, celery, or my flax crackers for a wholesome, filling snack.
What are some of your favorite, healthy on-the-go snacks? Have you ever given anything of these a try?